The Blair School of Music – Who we are:
Experience world-class music training alongside a top-20 academic education at one of the few exclusively undergraduate music schools in the country.
• 4-to-1 Student to Faculty Ratio
• Areas of Study include Performance, Jazz Studies, Music Education, Musical Arts, and more
• Vanderbilt will meet 100% of a family’s demonstrated financial need. 86% of Blair Students received scholarship* assistance (*includes need and merit based scholarships 2021-22)
• Enrollment limited to approximately 225
• 50% of students identify as non-white, underrepresented populations
• Master Classes offered in every program of study and department
• 25 performance ensembles
• Opportunity to add a double major or minor in an academic field at Vanderbilt
• Located in Nashville, where the primary industry is music
Blair School of Music students are bright and versatile, with wide-ranging interests and ideas:
Some students combine music in a double major or add a minor in one of our three other undergraduate schools, graduating with Vanderbilt’s strong foundation in the liberal arts and sciences supporting Blair’s intense training in music.
• Double majors and minors available in any field at Vanderbilt (except for Engineering majors; Computer Science is the only Engineering field available as a second major.)
• Blair students can also complete one of Vanderbilt’s Pre-Professional programs alongside their music major.
• Blair students study abroad at music programs in Amsterdam, Berlin, Copenhagen, Sydney, and more.
• Undergraduate students are encouraged to take part in Vanderbilt University’s wide variety of research opportunities.
• Any Vanderbilt student who is interested in continuing their music studies can audition for any of the Blair ensembles at the beginning of fall semester.
• Vanderbilt students interested in a minor or second major in music may audition at the end of one semester of private instructor, with the guidance of their instructor.
Blair students are Vanderbilt students:
By being a student at Blair, you are also a member of the Vanderbilt University community. Consistently ranked among the happiest students by Princeton Review, your student life experience here is just as important to us as your musical one. Vanderbilt is a collaborative and inspiring community that motivates and challenges students to be the very best they can be.
Blair School of Music graduates can be found throughout the fields of performance, research, teaching and composition:
Blair students have been accepted for graduate study at major schools of music in the United States and across the world. Blair alumni also have pursued graduate work in disciplines as varied as entertainment law, music business, music therapy and cognition, medicine, and arts management.
Whatever your musical or academic focus….
No matter why you choose the Blair School of Music, you will learn to think critically, listen perceptively, and write skillfully in a place long known to the world as Music City.