MORE. This simple word describes the opportunities you’ll have at the Butler University School of Music.
In addition to studying music, our flexible curriculum allows you to easily pursue a double major, study abroad, collaborate with internationally-acclaimed artists, participate in multiple ensembles, complete an internship or major research project, or teach in the Butler Community Arts School—all with the encouragement of Butler’s world-renowned faculty.
• Small class sizes, 11:1 student to faculty ratio.
• Personalized instruction from faculty, no teaching assistants.
• High placement rate. 98% of our students are placed in a full-time job or in graduate school within 6 months of graduation.
• Multiple degree options, including 40+ pre-set double majors with music and another academic area.
• Excellent location in Indianapolis, the 15th largest city in the U.S. with vibrant arts scene.
• Top-notch performance venues with 250+ artistic performances every year.
• And MORE!
“The Butler University School of Music taught me the meaning of the word ‘interdisciplinary.’ Butler has given me the opportunity to explore the infinite ways that my many interests can combine as I continue with my education.”
– Natalie Farrell, Music and English double major with multiple emphases,
now PhD student in Musicology at the University of Chicago
“Making a living as a musician in our society is an ever-changing proposition. To adapt and overcome, musicians will need to be more creative and entrepreneurial than ever. The School of Music at Butler University provides the ideal environment in which to develop those skills. The faculty is outstanding, and the environment is incredibly supportive.”
– Michael J. Colburn, Director of Bands, former military band director
“The individualized attention and guidance I’ve received at Butler has helped me achieve excellence in everything I do.”
– Brandon Douthitt, Music and Recording Industry Studies double major
Attended graduate school at the Aaron Copland School of Music in NYC
During this time of limited campus visit opportunities, the School of Music still wants to meet you! Please email email@example.com or call 317-940-9065 to set up a time to connect either virtually or in person. Note that in-person meetings are limited.