Fundamentally different from conventional music conservatories, the Herb Alpert School of Music at CalArts seeks to empower its students to become creators and makers of music.
BFA, MFA, and DMA degrees are offered, with specializations in:
Composition and Experimental Sound Practices; Experimental Pop; Instrumental Arts; Jazz; Music Technology (Intelligence, Interaction and Design); Performer-Composer; Voice Arts; and World Music Performance.
At CalArts, students are free to discover themself as musical artists. They are not restricted to one particular program or idiom. No matter their program, all students perform in diverse world music ensembles, refine compositions, enhance performance skills, practice concert and studio production, and work with technology such as robotics and machine learning.
To become flexible, highly skilled creators and thoughtful innovators, students at CalArts experience:
• World-class artists on faculty
• Stylistically-open approaches to musical creativity
• One-on-one mentorship from all areas of the School to construct individualized courses of study
• Flexibility to organize diverse ensembles, often with faculty participation
• Performances centered on original music and spontaneous creation alongside existing musical literature and interactive media
• Collaborative, multidisciplinary, cross-pollinating opportunities with the other five schools of CalArts (Art, Critical Studies, Dance, Film/Video, and Theater)
Come to CalArts to pave your own pathway and develop your unique identity as a creative musician: hone your skills in creating art, building a career, making a difference, and contributing to creative, highly collaborative communities.