Where artistry + innovation share center stage
Becoming a professional musician requires talent and commitment. It also takes the right education environment: Carnegie Mellon School of Music
Who We Are
Founded in 1912 as one of the five schools of the College of Fine Arts, Carnegie Mellon School of Music offers conservatory-level programs within a world-class university environment.
What We Offer
Bachelor of Fine Arts
- Instrumental Performance, Keyboard Performance, Vocal Performance, Composition, Electronic Music
Bachelor of Science in Music & Technology
- In collaboration with the School of Computer Science and the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
BXA Intercollege Degrees
- Students in BXA programs have a concentration in music and in the second college. Music Concentrations include:
- Performance (instrumental, keyboard, voice)
- Musicology & Cultural Studies
- Bachelor of Humanities and Arts: In collaboration with the Dietrich College of Humanities
- Bachelor of Science and Arts: In collaboration with the Mellon College of Science
- Bachelor of Computer Science and Arts: In collaboration with the School of Computer Science
Minors for Music Majors
- Collaborative Piano, Conducting, Music Education Certification, Music Technology, Music Theory
Graduate, Advanced Music Studies Certificate, and Artist Diploma programs are available.
Why Carnegie Mellon
- Be a part of an innovative fine arts community immersed in a top research university.
- We offer the best aspects of a conservatory (small class size, individual attention, and creative opportunity) along with experiences only a university can offer (double majors, extensive student organizations, and uniquely CMU traditions).
- From performance ensembles and opera productions to chamber music and recitals, the School of Music has over 250 events each year.
- All music courses and lessons are taught by faculty members, not graduate students.
- Pittsburgh is home to a dynamic arts, culture, and technology community.
- 20 members on the School of Music’s faculty are members of the world-renowned Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra.
Our alumni are performers, teachers, conductors, and entrepreneurs working in creative industries across the globe. They populate the ranks of the world’s most prestigious orchestras, opera companies, and conservatory faculties including the New York Philharmonic, The Metropolitan Opera, Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra, Harvard University, BBC Orchestras, Lyric Opera of Chicago and many more.
A very special kind of young musician populates the School of Music at Carnegie Mellon University. The students here are intelligent, curious, ambitious and energetic, with musical talent in abundance. Each time I encounter them – in class, in rehearsal, or in the hallways – I am grateful that the future of our art is in such good hands.”
Denis Colwell, Retired Head of the School of Music