The Department of Music at Metropolitan State University of Denver boasts a variety of degrees and musical experiences, with an innovative curriculum spanning classical, jazz, and world music traditions.
Our internationally-recognized faculty teach with commitment and passion, focusing on the future success of every student. Located in the heart of downtown Denver, our students perform in the acclaimed Kenneth King Academic and Performing Arts Center, which features state-of-the-art performance venues, practice rooms, theaters, and classrooms.
- Our Bachelor of Music Education program is a leader in placing graduates into teaching positions, with a 100% placement rate for recent graduates seeking careers in music education. This degree prepares and certifies students to teach music in K-12 schools.
- Our pioneering Bachelor of Music in Jazz and American Improvised Music program expands beyond traditional jazz repertoire to include improvisation in folk, blues, bluegrass, and other American styles. Students perform concerts and recitals at Denver’s premier jazz venues including Dazzle Jazz and the Mercury Café.
- Music at MSU Denver puts on over 200 events a year; our Visiting Artist Series brings in renowned musicians for masterclasses and performances.
- Fully-staged musical theatre and opera productions are performed entirely by undergraduate students, from the pit orchestra to the leading roles.
- In addition to traditional large and small ensembles, we offer diverse performance opportunities in African drumming and dance, Balinese gamelan, and mariachi.
- Professional organizations in residence, the Colorado Wind Ensemble and the Playground Ensemble, provide students with opportunities to engage professional musicians. Student instrumentalists perform with the Colorado Wind Ensemble, while student composers hear their music performed by the Playground Ensemble in workshop settings.
- Metropolitan State University of Denver offers the lowest tuition of Colorado’s five largest universities. MSU Denver is a member of Western Undergraduate Exchange, allowing residents of western states to enroll at numerous schools in other western states at 150% of resident tuition. Forbes magazine lists MSU Denver among the nation’s top four-year colleges and universities for the return on investment we provide our students.